PROGRAMS TO ENSURE SANYAM AND SWASTHYA
Relation between the self and the body.
The self has the responsibility for nurturing protection and the right utilization of the body. For this, he has to follow some programs. We need to work to understand the self-organization of the body and ensure its health of the body.
Protection of the Body:
The second issue is the protection of the body. The clothes we choose for protection need to be such that they ensure proper interaction of the body with the environment. The right amount of exposure of the body to the air, water, and sun is required to ensure its proper functioning. To ensure the health of the Body, we need to take care of the following- i) Ahar – Vihar, ii) Shram- Vyayam, iii) Asana – Pranayam, and iv) Aushadhi – Chikitsa.
Aushadhi-Chikitsa. We have already discussed Ahar (Food), so let us now discuss the others:
- Proper upkeep (Vihar) of the Body: When we work, the Body gets tired. When we take rest, the Body becomes fit to work. But again, there is a limit to the amount of work and rest we need. We also need to ensure proper time, posture, and ways to work and rest. We need to provide hygienic conditions for the proper functioning of the Body. These issues are included in the upkeep of the Body.
- Labour: Labour is another requirement. It means employing the body physically for the production and maintenance of physical facilities. The labor we do helps each part of the Body to function properly.
- Physical Exercises: We are aware of physical exercises. While doing labor, some parts of the Body may get stressed while others may not get employed to that extent. With exercises, we can employ all the parts of the Body in the desired way.
- Asan – Pranayam: This is another way to keep the body functioning properly. In Asanas, we give the body proper postures by sitting or lying, and in Pranayam, we ensure the regulation of breathing.
- Treatment of the body: When the Body gets hurt or is in disorder by either misuse or because of the adversities of the environment etc. there is a natural tendency of the Body to heal and come back to its desired state of health. We only need to facilitate this process, and not suppress it. Thus, when unpleasant sensations come from the Body indicating disorder, they are to be properly interpreted and attended to.
With all the care we take, the body may require treatment at times. There are several approaches to ensure this. It may be that just by going without food for some time, the Body gets cured, Right choice for food may also help. The treatment of the Body can be done by proper exposure of the Body to air, water, or sun too. The use of herbs or medicines may also serve the purpose. Here one thing to understand is that the system of the body works in a self-organized way and I only need to facilitate the self – organization of the body by arranging for material things. One thing to take care of other problems. about is that while curing the Body of one problem, we need to choose ways that do not give rise.
Right utilization of the body (Sadupyog): Right utilization of the Body as an instrument necessitates understanding the purpose for which this instrument is to be used. Normally we tend to believe that the Body is an instrument for sensory enjoyment, which is not correct. We also happen to use our Body to exploit other human beings or rest of the nature which is also not the right utilization. It is important to realize that the human body is an instrument to facilitate the right understanding and its actualization in life.
This is an important issue. I need to ensure that I use my Body for the right behavior and work. When I do so, it has favorable effects on the Body. On the other hand, if I use it for acting in opposition with other human beings or nature, like quarreling, fighting, and hitting, it has adverse effects on the Body. I also need to arrange for equipment/instruments for the right utilization of the body. They increase the efficiency and capacity of the body.
Our Present Attitude Towards the Body and its Consequences
The human body is a self-organized and highly sophisticated mechanism. Today we are facing different problems and they are a lack of responsibility towards the body, the tendency for medication to suppress the ailment, and polluted air, water, and food. Let’s take them in detail:
Lack of Responsibility towards the Body: Our lifestyle has become very busy and unnatural. We usually do not give priority to taking proper care of the body. We have increasingly started eating at odd hours, eating junk food, and are largely ignorant about the state of our bodies.
The tendency for Medication to Suppress the Ailment: Whenever there is a pain in any part of the body, it is a signal of some disorder that needs to be properly attended to. However, our common tendency has become to suppress this pain with immediate medication and then forget about it.
Polluted Air, Water, and Food: We have polluted our environment today and it is directly or indirectly harming us. There is contamination in the air, water, soil, and plants and we are responsible for it. Our food has become impure. Due to the heavy use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and a lot of pollution, our food has all kinds of toxic contents in it. The air we breathe in is polluted by various chemicals released from industries and vehicles, while our water is also polluted due to industrial effluents (liquid sewage), sewage, etc. all this, surely, is not conducive to the health of people.
The Human Body is a Self Organized Unit
The human body is a self-organized and highly sophisticated mechanism. The body is made up of several organs and glands and the different parts of the body keep working in close coordination All the activities keep the body fit for the use of ‘ I ‘ (self or jivana) so that ‘ I ‘ and the body may work in synergy as a human being. The silent aspects of this harmony b / w ” I and the body are ix S 2.
- The body acts according to the needs of I.
- There is harmony among the parts of the body.
- Our body follows only the ‘ I ‘.
- There is a strong coupling b / w I and the body. If I am in disharmony e.g. in anger or stress or despair. It immediately starts affecting the body adversely.
- There are many diseases of the body that are caused or accentuated due to disharmony in I. These are called psychosomatic diseases such as asthma, migraine, hypertension, etc. On the other hand, when there is a strong disturbance in the body manifesting in the form of severe pain, it distracts I from its normal functions.
- I have the feeling of Sanyam for the body and the body has Swasthya. Sanyam is basic to Swasthya.
- Understanding Harmony in Family and Society
- Harmony in Family
- Values in Humans – Human Relations
- Dimensions of Trust in Human values
- Trust and Respect as the Foundational Value of Relationships